After an extensive career in digital media production and management, I completed a PhD at the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto. I use my expertise gained through my work experience and advanced education to teach, consult, and research digital media strategy and user experience issues.
Digital media users are complicated and multifaceted – I have a rare combination of depth and breadth of knowledge and experience to help understand them and apply their needs to various digital media and technology efforts.
Areas of Expertise
- user experience of mobile and internet media
- user-centred design, usability, and accessibility
- locative media, location-based services, and geoinformatics
- digitally mediation communications
I am currently teaching courses in digital media, user experience, and professional communication at Ryerson University. I am also a freelance writer and photographer.
I recently worked in user research both as an independent consultant and as a team member of OCAD University’s Visual Analytics lab. In this role, I have led user testing of digital media prototypes through participant recruitment, organizing and moderating tests, writing testing scripts, conducting user observation, think aloud method, and qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
Additionally, I have over ten years experience in digital media design and development from paper prototyping, iterative and user-centred design, project management, and product launches.
My career highlights include managing an e-Business website, developing websites with start-ups, writing online travelogues, and helping create one of the first mobile applications in Canada.
My doctoral research examined the role of mobile media in our spatial awareness. I previously studied digital media and human-computer interaction during my masters degree in communication at Royal Roads University and Humber College’s Internet Management post-graduate program. My master’s thesis examined diffusion and implementation challenges of website accessibility.
Awards and Honours
- SSHRC Canada Graduate scholarships (doctoral and masters)
- Chancellor’s award for top performance for masters program
- TA teaching excellence award shortlist, University of Toronto
- Best workshop paper, Mobile Human Computer Interaction conference
- Apex awards for excellence in overall website and online annual report